Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me

Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me
My sister is the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Can I Have Your Autograph?- The Cast of A Doll's Life for Me Practice Penmanship

As I have not yet released a post in the month of July yet, I came up with an idea that would be quick and easy, both for you guys to read and for me to start and finish all in one day. You'll notice that there is a larger picture-to-word ratio than usual. The idea was able to incorporate all of my friends in the Room She Lives In, and it harks back to my finding place in the Disney parks. I figured that since all of the face characters have their own special style of signing your autograph book, we should too. After all, we sort of are all face characters in our own ways... right? Eh, scratch that. I just wanted to find an excuse to gather everyone around for a craft. And speaking of craft, these were our supplies:


*Seven glitter gel pens, all in varying colors to suit a certain doll
*One of She's old art sketchbooks we might have borrowed (or stolen)
And that's basically all we needed. Oh, and a camera, for taking pictures of us with our handiwork.


We started with me, of course. My signature was also the first entry in the sketchbook, aside from some really cool sketches She has done over the years. Overall, the sketchbook seemed abandoned otherwise, so we felt safe enough to use it.


My autograph is very Disney-parks-esque, only with more curving loops and swirls. Thanks to the Elsa signature that goes on the back of all the singing doll's boxes, the theatrical, sparkling cursive was the only way I really learned to write. I'm best at writing my own name so far, so I guess it's a good thing She decided to call me that! I think I'd like to improve my pen-and-paper writing skills in the future.


The picture above is an example of someone online who received an Elsa autograph from one at a Disney park. We looked around, but She did not have Elsa's name in her Disney autograph book from her last trip, so this random one would have to do.


Next was Olaf! He happily volunteered after me. He chose orange for his pen color since it matched his nose. Olaf needed some help learning to write for the first time, but I instructed him fairly well using a replica of the Olaf Disney parks autograph and he and I both were very proud of how it turned out.


Since the Olaf face character doesn't actually sign signatures, one online was pretty hard to find. However, we did find one sort-of-decent pic of, again, not She with an Olaf autograph. I guess it was on a character card with a Popsicle stick or something? I don't remember seeing these when I lived back in Wandering Oaken's.


 The Olaf signature is in black, under the "Frozen Summer Fun" tagline.


Nessa was eager to try and write next with her raspberry pink glitter pen. She was no stranger to a pen, being a very artistic person, but she still struggled with the weight of a writing utensil so much heavier than her. Nessa had never signed her name before, so we looked up some script-style ones on www.dafont.com to inspire Nessa.


She finally decided on a blend of two fonts, Olympic Branding by Maelle K./Thomas Boucherie and Beyond the Mountains by StereoType. They were both really pretty and Nessa thought that they suited her personality so well that she just had to do both.


Magneto was probably the most difficult to work with, both the fact that he had trouble holding up the pen and finding a good font for him to work with. (Also, finding a red glitter gel pen is harder than you think.) We drew inspiration from Word Documents and DaFont. After mulitple practice attempts, he chose this one for the final page.


His other ideas were Copperplate Gothic Bold, and get this... there is actually a Word Document font called Magneto. I thought it was a perfect fit, but Magneto himself said that it was too perfect and clearly not meant to be. He kept the Magneto font style's M, and took it himself from there.


Idina was at first reluctant to autograph the final paper. After some mild convincing and peer pressure, she gave in. She wanted her signature to look exactly like Idina Menzel's, the voice actor for our movie counterpart Elsas and the person she was named after.


She actually did pretty well! Though her capital "I" looks a bit like an ampersand (&) I have to secretly admit that hers is actually my favorite. Of course, I'm biased, but I love how long and flowing it is. After her first time in getting to write, I think Idina might actually enjoy learning more about it along with me.


This is the real Idina Menzel's autograph. I guess her "I" does look a little like an ampersand, but I'm actually starting to like Idina's drawn-out constant word better.


Loki was our final non-animal doll. Naturally, with all the time he had to think, he already had his idea for an autograph in mind. He wanted an old-fashioned, Times New Roman style of font for his. I'm pretty sure he's already written things before, based on how quickly he got his autograph down, but he wouldn't tell us what for.


The green glitter pen was one of the nicest colors, but the picture had a shadow and did not turn out as well as the others. Boo. I guess I am still an amateur at this whole blog and photos thing. While Loki's signature could be based off any number of fonts, we found that the default (and only) setting on She's electric typewriter was probably the closest to his penmanship.


I'm totally jealous of She's typewriter. Though it tends to smell like burning dust when you plug it in and flip the switch to "on." That's probably not a good thing, is it?


And last but not least, certainly everyone's favorite reindeer... Sven! Being an animal doll like Dorothy's Toto, (we only got dolls that lived in She's room to sign the sketchbook so Dorothy wasn't a part of this, unfortunately) we were doubtful when he wanted to try it out. But he snorted so persistently and gave us all the puppy dog eyes, so we gave him a brown glitter pen and pointed at the page where to sign. Sven is very intelligent, and he was actually able to get his name out holding the pen in his mouth, modeling the shapes of each letter after what I had written on another page.


After he was done with that, Nessa carefully traced Sven's front right hoof with the same pen to finish. Besides that, we couldn't exactly find any good examples to compare to Sven's autograph. I don't think there are a whole lot of real-life reindeer signing Sven's name with their mouths out there. But you never know, I guess.


Ta-da! That's the end. The last above picture is all of our test runs the pens' inks and variations of the name signings. I hope you enjoyed the short and sweet post I had for you today. I hope that I will have more coming on this month before it ends, but honestly, I can't guarantee anything. Until next time, I hope you have a lovely summer and enjoy it until school starts again!


(Sorry to those of you going back, you probably didn't need the reminder. Here's one of She's sketches we found in the mostly empty sketchbook to make it better. Yes, it is from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead again, what a surprise. But still. Good art!)


Feeling artsy,
Queen Elsa

No comments:

Post a Comment