Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me

Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me
My sister is the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

The Great Doll Awards Ceremony

Elsa here. Ah, it feels great to be back to be writing on my blog. And it feels even greater because Blogger says that the last post published on A Doll's Life for Me, Moana's "Easter Island" story, was our fiftieth! Since one of the best things about this blog (in my opinion) are the pictures, my sister Anna and I decided to host an awards ceremony in the Room She Lives In with the entire blog cast and various backdrops. The awards ceremony aimed to celebrate the talents and traits each of the cast members possess to make them feel special. It was a lot of fun to do and hopefully it will also be fun to browse through for my loyal readers!
***
Elphaba's olympic blue eyes, eternally narrowed and calculating, scanned the surface of the dresser. "Alright, looks like we have everyone," she slammed her fist down onto the wood like a gavel in a courtroom. "The fourth meeting of the All Elsas Club will officially come to order!"
I giggle. "You know, Elphie, there's only three of us including you. You really don't have to do that."
"Let her haf her fun." Idina said. She had prepared tea for us today, Celestial's Country Peach Passion, as it was called, and it smelled refreshing and sweet, just like summer itself. Unfortunately, it had rained the night before and all the doors to the house were locked, preventing any of us going outside.
There were other things to do, though. Such as listening to Elphaba host a passionate All Elsas Club meeting. "First off, I have a few questions I'd like to bring forth," Elphie addressed me. "Elsa, how are you the only one of the 'Elsa' dolls here with snow and ice powers?"
I shrug.
"Is it because your hands glow when you sing? Is it because you're an actual singing doll? It is because... I don't know, magic, maybe?"
"All three?" I guessed, my hands starting to shine at their mention.
Luckily Anna came by to save me from any more awkward questioning.


"I came to tell you I have exciting news!" She announced.
"Oh really?" I tried acting casual as I lifted my teacup to my nose, but it was getting hard to hide the ever-increasing blue tingle in my arms, this time from excitement and not worry.
"Your blog, A Doll's Life For Me, has just reached its fiftieth post!"
"Ooh!" Idina clapped her little plush hands. "Dat is a landmark! Good for you, Elsa!"
"I can't believe we made it this far." Elphaba agreed, shaking her head. I was thankful she had forgotten about the questioning-my-powers thing.
"Ve haf to do something special."
"Exactly," said Anna. "That's why I came over to talk with Elsa. But could I do it... alone? Please?"
Elphaba sighed, looking over at Idina. "The host of the All Elsas Club calls for a recess." Then they both took their cups and left.
When they were off the dresser and out the door, I offered Anna some tea, but she refused, saying that there was no time for tea when there was a celebratory blog post to be written. She apparently had a list of ideas and plans for each one written in a mini notebook, which she plopped into my lap and began to explain how each one would go.
When I'd had enough, I held up a hand. "Anna, please! Slow down! All of these are great, but what if we did something a little more simple? I know how much you like being my secretary, but if we want this post to come out this month-"
"Which we do."
"We need to execute a post within a day. Why not conduct an awards ceremony? Like that page in She's old yearbooks where some lucky students get presented with the 'best dressed' or 'most athletic' awards."
Anna thought about it for a minute. "I suppose that could work. We could include every member of the blog cast, pick out the most outstanding things about them, and then design an award to match. I could set up some colored backgrounds to suit the doll, we take some photos, and then you could make a write up and publish it."


"You really have this all figured out, don't you?"
Anna blushed. "Guess that's why you named me your secretary."
I laughed, pouring Anna some tea so she could calm down. "I chose well."
Even when She, our human, fell asleep that night and all the dolls were set in their places until morning, Anna and I continued to brainstorm what honor each doll should get, at least before the sleepiness settled in and hypnotized us into slumber.
The next day, as Anna and I had decided, would be a good day for the awards ceremony. Every doll we knew was present, the humans were gone, and it was raining again. I made sure to get up as early as I could to work on writing the dates on each paper before noon, which was when Anna had told everyone to meet in the Room She Lives In.
I don't think I've ever mentioned this outright before, but She bought a giant snow queen-sized wicker chair a while back, and ever since then its been my go-to spot for non-blogging and non-active activities. I was marking "7-13-17" on Olaf's award when Anna crept over to visit.
"Can I help you?" I teased.
"Nope!"
"Is there a reason you're holding your hands behind your back?"
"Nope!" Anna shifted her stance. "Um, I was just talking to Nessa. She stands like this a lot, doesn't she? We're thinking about starting an All Annas Club like you and Idina and Elphaba have. Sorta."
"That's a good idea." I said, but I was still wondering why my sister was acting so anxious. Maybe it was for the awards ceremony.


"Hey, can I borrow the chair when you're done?"
"Of course." I said, getting up. I was finished anyways. With a fresh stack of handmade awards bundled in my arms, I moved away from Anna to give her some privacy. I had no clue what she was up to, but in any case, I wouldn't want to be bothered if I were her. Besides, this gave me a chance to make her award. Not that she knew she was getting one, but that was all part of the surprise.
At 12:00 sharp most of the dolls had come through She's door.
"What's this for?" Olaf asked as he entered.
"We're having an awards ceremony," Anna explained. "This morning Elsa and I made little, err... prizes, I guess, for everyone to keep and remind them of what remarkable dolls they are."
"That sounds fun! When do I get my award?"
"We'll have to wait and see. These are in order and we don't know who goes first or not," I explained. "But it looks like Napoleon is up first!"


The tallest nutcracker was a bit startled at first, but then held his head high and marched up to where Anna was, asking him what backdrop he'd prefer to have behind him. A medium blue fabric with a painted American flag heart was hand-selected by Napoleon himself and closepinned to the chest of drawers in the Room She Lives In. And with a background like that, it was obvious that Napoleon got "The Most Spirit" award.


His brother Benny went next. After choosing a dark blue, almost black, fabric, he smoothed down one side of his white hair but forgot the other! Oh well. He didn't end up receiving the "Best Hair" award, so it didn't really matter. Instead, he got "The Most Loyal Doll" award for so faithfully guarding the smaller of the humans' Christmas trees every year.
"What kind of name is that?" I heard Moana whisper incredulously, after reading out Benny's real name.
Benny stuck up his nose in defense. "Sir Benedict Edgar Norbert Newton Yankovitch happens to be a perfectly respectable name!"
Moana turned quiet after that, but she still had a small smile on her face.


"Next up is our very own Captain Steve Rodgers!" I exclaimed.
My boyfriend rolled his eyes. "Now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I'm here for an award like everyone else. You don't have to honor me."
"Right, oh ordinary one." I looked over at Anna, who was prepping Steve's crimson red background. She smiled in reply, remembered our joke.
"And the 'Best Hair' award for today goes to Steve!"
The crowd laughed, but Steve did not think it was so hilarious, though he knew I was only kidding, since his permanent mask left everyone unable to see any part of his hair. "Very funny, Elsa, but I don't think that award fits me."


"You're right," I decided. "'The Stellar Cooperator' award is yours, for getting along so well with every doll you've met thus far."
"Now that sounds better." Steve agreed, posing for his picture.


Bell was forth, and she was very happy to receive "The Most Creative Doll" award, as it was plain to see as she stood, wings fluttering, in front of a green and yellow tie dye fabric. Anna and I knew Bell deserved it, because, despite seeing her very often, Dorothy would always tell us about Bell's next greatest invention. Sure, most of them never came to pass out of procrastination or various mistakes, but she kept trying, and that's all we needed to know for her to get such an award.


And because Bell and Dorothy are inseparable, Dorothy with her red and white striped backdrop had to go after. Toto was content with leaving his mistress's side long enough for her to hold "The Best Baker" award.  Aside from Idina some days, Dorothy spent the most time in the kitchen, and in fact I was able to catch the two of them making doll-sized cookies and took a picture of it for my June header, but sadly it never made it up in time. However, those cookies smelled delicious!


When it was Loki's turn, Nessarose gasped.
"What? Don't like the color?" Loki asked, as he helped to put up his dark green background.
"No! I didn't know you were a prince!" She pointed in shock at the card Anna was holding, which did include his full title, Prince Loki of Jotunheim.
"I haven't told anyone since I was first found. I think only Elsa and Olaf know." He seemed pretty casual about it, and I could remember him being a prince was something he was never exactly proud of.
"You have to tell me about Jotunheim!" Nessa cooed. "You should know from your character's story, right? Is it a beautiful kingdom? What are the people like?"
"Can I please just get a picture first?"
"It's for the blog." Anna said to her mini-me.
"Oh, fine," Nessa grumbled. "Congratulations on getting 'The Most Organized Doll' award, Loki. Apparently you're far too organized to tell me about Jotunheim."
"That has nothing to do with it." Loki put his face in his palms, frustrated.
"Smile!" I ordered, using She's camera to snap a photo before things got too wound up.


"I have here in my hand 'The Cutest Doll or Animal' award. But, hmmm... who should it go to?" I asked, scanning those left over without an award.
Sven tossed his antlers and made reindeer noises. Pua widened his eyes to look more vulnerable. Toto wagged his tail and rolled over so we could pet his belly. And HeiHei... well, HeiHei was more distracted with pecking at the carpet than the awards ceremony.
"Surprise! It's a four way tie!" Anna exclaimed, as Sven tried nudging under her arms so she could muss up his hair. He motioned to a brown fabric off to the side, so that was the one we chose for the picture. I think it is clear to see that we had some cute animals in this picture, but HeiHei really could have cared less.


During Idina's turn, she chose a plain white backdrop for her picture and graciously accepted "The Most Generous" award. Though Idina may be small and fragile, she was well renowned among all of the dolls for her ability to craft any sort of clothing, so she rarely kept the fashions to herself. In fact, she made me most of my headbands, and then some for Anna too once she arrived. And from what I could notice, she was getting to making Moana some shoes.


"Ooh yay! I'm next!" Olaf cried, jumping up and selecting a white background with orange stars. "Which award did I get?"
"Well, there's only one doll we know that can give hugs like you," I began. "So, Olaf, you get 'The Best Hug-Giver' Award."
"Do you like it?" Anna said, handing him the faux paper plaque.
Olaf stared down at the card, with the black triangles and shimmery gold border, then the light blue snowflake as the blog crest in the bottom center. "Like it? I love it! This is the best award I have ever gotten."
"I'm glad you're happy."
Magneto was not. "It's the only award he's ever gotten." The key-chain muttered.


"Since you're being so talkative, Magneto, it's your turn," said Anna slyly. And you get to use this pencil sharpener as a stool."
"Are you saying I'm short?"
"Yeah." Anna said plainly, draping a lilac-colored background over the chest of drawers.
"I'm not going to use a pencil sharpener to make myself appear taller!"
"Do you want to be covered up by your award?"
"No. You should have made these smaller!"
"But we didn't. So here." Anna laid down a rectangular pencil sharpener down where Magneto could stand... if he was cooperating.
He unhappily stepped up onto the sharpener and held up 'The Dynamic Doll' award for the camera to see.
"What does dynamic even mean, anyways?" He moaned.
"It means you're the only doll who has had the biggest character change in all the time we've known you." I stated.
"Yeah, ever since Moana came in, you've been on your best behavior." Anna nodded.
"Does she scare you or something?" Olaf asked.
Magneto locked gazes with Moana, who just grinned in return, unperturbed by the attention she was suddenly getting. "Smile, lolo." She ordered.
And Magneto smiled in the only way he knew how.


Nessarose was very... optimistic to get "The Most Optimistic Doll" award, and it was true to her traits. Before either of us had a doll of our own size to be a sister, Nessa was as close to me as two dolls as different as we were could get. No matter if I was feeling lonely or upset, Nessa was always one to cheer me up with her joyful and outgoing demeanor, even if it meant I had to "let go", per se, of what was troubling me. She was very good at teaching me to do just that. A raspberry magenta background matched her cape, as well as her bright personality.


Elphaba, for such a memorable stormy gaze, was honored with "The Best Eyes" award. She chose a robin's egg blue color for her background so it didn't completely resemble the fabric I had in mine for my background, which was quite a sacrifice on her part. She even had sacrificed herself to save Nessa from being crushed by our tiny doll Christmas tree when we had first met her. Perhaps there is more to Elphie's steely stare than I knew.


We had just the right background for Moana, the color and style of the fabric near matching the design on her tapa top. And finally, a worthy candidate to receive "The Best Hair" award! Ever since day one, I've been slightly jealous of Moana's well-maintained long black curls, even though she says it's not a breeze to take care of, and I can only imagine doing so. But she's never looked frumpy that I can remember, so Anna and I both thought this would be the perfect award for her to get.


"I think that's everyone." Loki said, checking everyone's hands to make sure Anna and I hadn't forgotten anybody.
"Wait, there's still two more awards in the pile..." My voice trailed off. I knew one of them had to be Anna's, because I had made that one. So who could the second award be for? I suddenly realized I was not the only one with such an idea. 
"Anna! Did you make me an award?"
"Yeah." She looked a little disappointed that I'd seen it too early.
"But we weren't supposed to do that!"
"You never said we couldn't, we just never talked about it. Besides, I think our star blogger needs an award of her own."
"Thank you, Anna," I said, pulling my sister into a hug. "Now, what did you give me? Most Annoying, Never-Ending Singer? Latest Late Riser? Best At Refusing To Build A Snowman?"


"Don't worry, I wrote you something nice. Now get in front of your background. This light blue is what you wanted, right?"
Anna handed off the award meant for me. It read, "The Most Literary", and here I was thinking it wasn't going to be something genuine.
"You've written fifty posts. I think you're definitely the most literary doll here."
"Fifty posts?!" Napoleon cried. 
"Right. We forgot to tell them," I remembered. "Guys, the last post published on my blog was our fiftieth. That's why we're having this awards ceremony, to show how far we've come as a family."
"Moana wrote that one, didn't she?" Steve asked.
Magneto punched her shoulder. "That she did."
"Your punches feel like bug bites," Moana commented. "From a very tiny bug. But yeah, I didn't realize I'd published the fiftieth post on your blog. Sorry Elsa. You probably wanted to do that."
"No, I'm happy for it! This isn't my blog. I'm just the one who writes it. Anna is the secretary and all of you are the cast. So we all share it, in a way," I turned away from the crowd. 


"And now it's time for our final award of the ceremony," I clipped a forest green fabric to the chest of drawers. "Last but not least, we have Anna, with 'The Friendlist Doll' award!"
"Ah, see? You did it, too!"
"I couldn't let you be the only one without something." I gave her the card, and she held the award over her head in victory. "Now smile!"
Click.
She's camera captures a snapshot of Anna, the last picture taken today. Now as I upload each one and type up this memoir, I'm reflecting on all that has happened to us. Fifty-one posts ago we were nothing, just a confused doll in a box on her new human's bed, waiting to be rescued by a little elf-man and then a snowman. That's how it all started, and look how far we've come! Sure, I may still be an amateur blogger, but I'd say we've definitely improved. The image quality got better, the writing got longer and more detailed, and each doll contributed their part to a great cause, whether they were the most organized or best baker. That's very important to me.
And if there's one thing I've learned about blogging from my fifty posts experience, it's to be sure to always thank your fans.
So...
thank you, honestly and seriously, for reading these posts.
Because of you as my readers, I have made it this far.


Fifty posts strong and getting stronger,
Queen Elsa

2 comments:

  1. Your blog really has been a group effort, so congratulations to all of you at A Doll's Life For Me for reaching your fiftieth post.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We thought doing something like an awards ceremony would be a great idea for the dolls here, however, it's the readers (like you) who truly deserve the award!

    ReplyDelete