Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me

Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me
My sister is the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten.

Friday, June 3, 2016

A Doll's Life File: Dorothy

I suppose I'm making up for the neglect I've shown the past month here, aren't I? All I could think about since my interview with Bell two days ago was Dorothy. Bell and Dorothy are like She's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. You can't have one without the other. Well, I suppose you can, but it really isn't the same. I also really wanted to know the other side of the story of when the two of them were apparently enemies. Dorothy and Bell were inseparable- possibly even more so than Olaf and Idina, and they weren't even married. What could have caused their rivalry, and why did they decide to become friends afterwards? I needed to know. So today I was able to pull Dorothy away from the other dolls' activities to have a quick talk.
***
Elsa: *bringing Dorothy over to where the laptop is on She's bed* Dorothy, can I speak with you a bit?
Dorothy: *eyes wide* Whatever for?
Elsa: I would like to interview you. It's for my blog.
Dorothy: *giggling* Oh, how silly of me! I thought I might be in trouble for something. 
Elsa: No, of course not! I'm just curious and would like to know your life's story.
Dorothy: Yes, Bell said you might want to make a, uh... 
Elsa: A Doll's Life File?
Dorothy: ...for me two days ago when we were picking flowers. Yes. That's what I meant.
Elsa: Well, would you like to? *gestures to open laptop* I have everything ready.
Dorothy: *Toto barks in agreement* Sure, I'll do it. *clambers up onto the bed* Will it be long?
Elsa: Funny, Bell asked the same thing. No, you'll still have time to join the others in their game. What are they doing anyways?
Dorothy: Oh, you should come see with us! It's very funny. Loki is seeing which doll can stay on Sven's back when he's running and bucking around.
Elsa: Ummm, okay? That's a little weird.
Dorothy: *shrugs* Boredom is a force to be reckoned with.
Elsa: Yes, it's a terrifying force of nature.... so! Where shall we start? What's your full name, Dorothy?
Dorothy: Dorothy Gale. And my dog's name is Toto Gale, of course.
Elsa: Do you know when you were found?
Dorothy: Not really. Toto and I share the same finding day. I think if I could decide my own day, it would have to be June 10th. That's the birthday of the actress who plays my character.
Elsa: Okay, I can put that down. And what's your finding place?
Dorothy: *scrunches up her eyebrows* Goodness, I can't remember.
Elsa: That's alright. Not everyone does.
Dorothy: I know it was a little shop somewhere. It was a cute little place. It smelled of wood and lavender, and I was surrounded with other hand-made music box dolls. I can recall a Cinderella with curly hair and a shiny blue dress, and a Mary Had a Little Lamb with a shepherd's crook and a bonnet. It was very peaceful there, and everyone was very kind to me. To be honest, I didn't much want to leave. But I wasn't given a choice and She took me home nonetheless.
Elsa: Where do you suppose this shop was?
Dorothy: *shakes head slowly* Not a clue. In the East? No, it can't have been East. I didn't see any wicked witches.
Elsa: Do you still have your tags?
Dorothy: Perhaps I do. Allow me to check. *reaches under the side of her skirt and lifts out her identification tags, still sewn to the underside* Here they are. I've never read them before.


Elsa: Better late than never, I suppose. *reads them* Santa Ana, California?
Dorothy: *gasps* No, I can't be from there! I thought it was Pennsylvania!
Elsa: Your shop might have been in Pennsylvania, but the headquarters of Green Tree Products Incorporated, that's where you were made, is in Santa Ana, California.
Dorothy: Oh. Okay.
Elsa: It's nothing to be sad about. Now you finally know where you're from!
Dorothy: California, and then Pennsylvania?
Elsa: Yup. That's right. At least I think so. I've never really had to check any doll's tags before. *goes back to laptop and types down finding place* And when were you found?
Dorothy: *sighs* Many, many, years ago. And too many days to count.
Elsa: *quietly* Can you tell me?
Dorothy: I've long forgotten my finding date. I don't think it matters much anymore. The only one I've ever celebrated my finding day with is Toto. 
Elsa: Why?
Dorothy: *solemnly* I was a gift from She's father, a moving present to a new home, the one we live in now. She picked me out specifically because She liked my song, "Over the Rainbow" but I was soon forgotten with the excitement of moving boxes and a new home. Instead, I was kept at the tippy-top of She's bookshelf for quite some time... collecting dust and never moving anywhere or seeing anyone. It was a very depressing life. If I can call it a life. It was years and years of non-living. I stopped counting after a while. It was no use. But if I had to guess, it was nine. *Toto whimpers*
Elsa: Nine?! Then you must be the oldest doll in the house!
Dorothy: As far as I know, yes. Yet still a child. I would have taken those nine years back if I could and be left with the two I've had with all of the other dolls I've met.
Elsa: Can you tell me more about those nine years if you can remember?
Dorothy: *sighing* I tried to forget.


Elsa: Okay, I can understand. But certainly She saw something special in you if She picked you out from all the dolls in the store. Didn't She clean you up and took you downstairs to live with Bell? 
Dorothy: Maybe so, maybe She did care for me. I do remember the day that I first met Bell. She finally took me off the bookshelf, untied the ribbons in my hair and then put them back into pigtails. My hair was brushed and Toto's head was dusted with a soft-bristled brush. Then She polished my cheeks with pink and yellow blush, and then brightened my smile with a red pencil. It was like someone cared for me for the first time. When I was first taken downstairs to meet Bell, that first week I wish that She hadn't, but then the years after, I suppose meeting Bell was the happiest thing that's ever happened to me.
Elsa: Yes, Bell took me that the two of you had a little rivalry going on.
Dorothy: *somewhat angrily* Is that what she called it?
Elsa: Was it not?
Dorothy: I would have called it that, too, if I had ever fought back. Bell was my only hope. She was the only other doll I'd ever seen before since being up in the bookshelf. I tried to be friends with her, stepping out of my shy shell and trying to talk to her. When she only turned me away, I shut her out bitterly because I had no choice. Of course I didn't want to do so at first, but she wasn't giving me the time of day, so what else was I supposed to do?
Elsa: *typing* I see.
Dorothy: Maybe it was a rivalry. But I can't imagine being so mean to each-other compared to how such good friends we are now.
Elsa: Yeah, that is a bit odd, isn't it?
Dorothy: Well, I guess the best thing I can say is that we did not start out as friends, but we are now. I can't see into her head, so I don't know what she thought of our past squabbles.
Elsa: *carefully* Bell told me that she felt very sorry for treating you so poorly.
Dorothy: *begins to perk up* Really? Do you think she meant that?
Elsa: Of course! Why wouldn't she?
Dorothy: I don't know. Maybe once, a part of me still clung to the thought that she still hated me and covered it up.
Elsa: No, I don't think so. I don't think there's a part of Bell today that hates you.
Dorothy: *relieved* Oh goodness, thank Oz!
Elsa: *smiling* I think all is forgotten now. I'm sure if you tell Bell that you forgive her and you are also sorry for whatever times you were rude, your mind can be at peace.


Dorothy: *returning my smile* That is a very good idea indeed. I must go find Bell at once.
Elsa: Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine!
Dorothy and I talked a bit more after her interview was typed up and sure returned happily with Bell. Mostly about her movie and book counterparts, which I never got to mention in front of any of the other dolls I had interviewed in the past. I asked her if she would ever want to go to Oz herself, and she shook her head no, terror in her eyes. "I could never dream of leaving home." she said to me. I guess not all dolls are exactly like their "real life" counterparts. I was both surprised and not at all to hear this from her. Of course Dorothy would say no. But I honestly wouldn't mind going to Oz myself. But can you imagine it? Elsa in Oz? Though it's probably already a thing out there somewhere. Anyways, I think I'll do some research on Green Tree Products Inc. I think Dorothy would like to know a little more about her past.


Full Name: Dorothy Gale
Finding Place: A store in Pennsylvania, but probably originally kept in Green Tree Products Industries, Santa Ana, California.
Finding Date: Long since forgotten, though decided on June 10th as a made-up finding date.
Species: Music box doll
Strengths: Is able to go with the flow, is skilled with animals (at least Toto) and overall a good and loyal friend.
Weaknesses: A little clueless, too quiet, and often is too afraid to try new things.
Powers: Is just a regular little girl, though her peaceful nature is admirable.
Status: A shy sweetheart with a deep and interesting mind.

1 comment: