Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me

Wintertime at A Doll's Life For Me
My sister is the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Doll's Life File: Bell

I realize it's been a while since I've blogged, but honestly, is that much of a surprise? The good thing is that since it's summer, so She will be out of the house more often, meaning I'll have time to blog! (Finally!) Anyways, it was another slow day at the house She lives in. It's been raining since noon and nothing eventful happened. Nothing eventful, that is, until Bell caught me with She's laptop. And here's the result of that.
***
Elsa: *being all casual and happy, trying to finish up an old blog post while humming to myself*
Bell: *springs up on the laptop, grinning broadly* Hi Elsa!
Elsa: *startled* Oh! Um, hey, Bell.
Bell: Whatcha doin'?
Elsa: Blogging. What are you doing?
Bell: Nothing. *groans* I'm bored. There's nothing to do here.
Elsa: Sure there is.
Bell: Like what?
Elsa: Well... *bites lip* I could always use someone to interview for a Doll's Life File...
Bell: Really? Can you interview me?
Elsa: Sure, why not? Haven't really got anything else better to do myself.
Bell: Sounds like fun! *claps hands* But how long is it going to take? Dorothy and I are going outside to pick some flowers to put in vases this afternoon.
Elsa: Out to pick flowers in the rain?
Bell: *shrugs* Why not?
Elsa: I guess that's a good enough reason... the interview shouldn't take more than twenty minutes in all.
Bell: That's perfect!
Elsa: *clicks on a few things* Okay, I have a new post ready. But I can't interview you if you're just going to hang in front of the screen like that.

Bell: Oh, oops! I'm sorry. *flies down next to me* Now, where do we begin?


Elsa: I've always started these by asking the person what their full name is.
Bell: *blows the bangs from her eyes* Tinker Bell, obviously. But every Tinker Bell doll is called that, so I decided to be a rebel and name myself Bell.
Elsa: *typing* Okay. Next question. I think this one should be simple enough. Where were you found?
Bell: *taps chin in thought* Actually, Elsa, that one might be a toughie.
Elsa: Really? How so?
Bell: Well, I know for a fact that She found me during her first trip to Disney world. *counting on fingers* It's 2016, right? Then that was three years ago. It was the November before Christmas 2013. I was in a boxed, or bagged, more like, set that held me and thousands of other accessories. She took to me immediately and wouldn't settle on buying anything else in the gift shop. Which is definitely special. Some time later, I was used as a Christmas tree ornament during the winter season. She said that I was her favorite ornament. *beams*
Elsa: *nonchalantly changing the subject* So I should just put your finding day down as generically November?
Bell: But here's the thing. I like to think of my finding day being in the late spring or the early summer. I love warm weather and those are my two favorite seasons of the year. November can be so dull and dreary, don't you think? No offense, to you, of course. I know your finding day was in November.
Elsa: Don't worry, no offense taken.
Bell: Good. Plus I think if we celebrate one more doll's finding day in November, that includes you, Loki, Olaf, and Steve, then that would get pretty old.
Elsa: I agree. *stops typing to think* How about we celebrate your finding day during the summer solstice? That's the end of spring and the beginning of summer all in one day.
Bell: *claps her hands again* That sounds great! What date is it?
Elsa: June 21st, I believe.
Bell: Then mark my finding day down as June 21st.
Elsa: Do you remember what gift shop it was in Disney?

Bell: *shakes head sadly* Not really. I never got to see the entrance sign to the store. All I know is that I was in Magic Kingdom, in a really big shop at the front of the park with tons of Christmas merchandise.

Elsa: I suppose that will have to be good enough.
Bell: I've never changed my finding date before. It's actually kind of exciting!Got any other questions for me?
Elsa: Unfortunately, no. That's all I have to ask. I fill out the rest myself.
Bell: What, no! We can't be done! I was just getting started!
Elsa: Sorry. That's all I have on my list. Unless you have a tragic backstory you want to share.
Bell: *sighs* I would tell you for sure if I had one. But nothing so bad has ever really happened to me.
Elsa: Well, that's good isn't it?
Bell: I guess. But it sure makes it hard to relate when everyone else has such an interesting life's story.
Elsa: Boredom is your worst enemy, huh?
Bell: You bet. That's why I'm always making and creating things. Inventing keeps my mind occupied.
Elsa: You could always tell me something about that. Or, and I'm really interested about this, how did you and Dorothy meet?
Bell: *smiles slightly* Now that isn't a boring story at all.
Elsa: Then would you care to share it with me and my readers?
Bell: Sure, why not? *flies over to look at laptop screen*
Elsa: *fingers over the keyboard* Ready when you are.
Bell: *takes a deep breath* Dorothy and I started out as enemies.
Elsa: *gasps* What? No way! But you two are so close now!
Bell: I know. Ironic, isn't it? Nowadays the both of us are able to look back on our past and laugh at how silly we were, but years ago our rivalry was serious business.
Elsa: Please, go on. You were right, this is interesting.
Bell: It all started when I came to She's house that first year I was found. I was a bright and shiny new toy and there was a whole world to explore in the house. I realized if I tried hard enough, I was able to fly for a few seconds and began to look around my new and hopefully forever home. It was a big and beautiful place indeed. Only something was wrong. I was alone. There were no other live dolls that I saw but me. All of She's childhood toys had long ago been lost or donated or put into yard sales, and here I was all alone.
Elsa: That's terribly sad. But didn't you meet anyone else that has been here a while? Like Benny or Napoleon, or Magneto?

Bell: Oh, sure I did. I became quick friends with Napoleon my first Christmas here, which was only a month away from my real finding date. But then again, I sort of had to. I was an ornament on Napoleon's tree, and it would be really awkward if we never talked when the humans weren't around. We had an on-off relationship, though, because he'd only be around for two months at tops before getting pushed away with the other Christmas items. Somehow, I stayed safe throughout the entire year. Maybe She really liked me enough to keep me away from the attic. I had heard about Benny from Napoleon's incessant chatter, but I had only got to meet him a few times. This is when Benny and Napoleon had a little sibling rivalry of their own.


Elsa: Ah, yes, I remember. I should really do A Doll's Life File for the two of them one day.
Bell: I didn't know Magneto until his finding day in December 2014. Ugh. *rolls eyes* He and I were of course not friends, but we had nothing against each-other. We just kind of stayed out of the other's way until you came along in 2014 and somehow made a big happy family out of all of the dolls in the house. I really owe you for that.
Elsa: *blushing* Oh, it was nothing.
Bell: Going on with the story, sometime in April after my first Christmas in the house, I was maybe five and a half months old. I had now settled in the house nicely, though I was still technically a new doll. The Christmas stuff had all been packed up for next year, so it was just me in the house when the humans and dogs weren't around. Or so I thought. Because then one day She brought someone downstairs and set her on the fireplace mantle. It was Dorothy.
Elsa: Uh-oh.
Bell: That's right, uh-oh. I immediately hated Dorothy. Who was she, thinking she could just come out of nowhere and invade my space? Being the only doll in the house, my ego had definitely been inflated to when I thought I was the best, the master of the home, and no one could ever match up to me. Then She brings down this little porcelain beauty in a cute checkered dress and a puppy- a puppy! *stamps her feet on She's bed* I was not happy at all. I told myself I was so much better than her and she did not deserve to be down here with me, much less my attention. The first few days, whenever she tried talking to me, I would turn my back and completely ignore her. Dorothy didn't really understand why I was being so mean, so eventually she just stopped trying to make contact with me. Sometimes I would hear her crying at night. Eventually Dorothy learned to resent me. We would do nothing but scowl at each-other whenever the humans were gone. It stayed like that until She moved Dorothy to where I was- the coffee table- for some reason. That same day, when the humans left, we got into a fight.
Elsa: Are you serious? A real fight?
Bell: Yes, but we all know girls fight with their words. We spat insults at each-other until my temper flared and I kicked Dorothy. She stumbled and fell off the coffee table.
Elsa: Just like that? You kicked her and she fell?
Bell: *embarrassed* Basically, yeah.
Elsa: *typing up a storm* And then what happened?
Bell: And... I caught her. I reached out and grabbed her hand as soon as my mood changed. I had seen so many dolls in the store get knocked off the shelf and were never able to regain their consciousness... *blinks rapidly* it was so terrible. Even though I hated Dorothy, something inside of me didn't want to see that happen again. Dorothy and I might have been enemies, but I had to save her, because she was all that I had. And with her being porcelain, she wouldn't just hit her head and end her life like Napoleon almost had that one time. She would shatter into a million pieces with no hope of ever living again. Our human, She, would be heartbroken, and it would be all my fault.
Elsa: Wow... that is really amazing. I guess you kind of have a tragic backstory after all.

Bell: *starting to smile again* Yeah... I guess maybe I do.

That's where my interview with Bell ended. Dorothy came in She's room shortly after with a basket at ready so Bell and her could pick some flowers outside. I wished them good luck in the rain and then finished typing it up. Already my brain was spinning with ideas. One thing was for sure: I needed to interview Dorothy now.


Full Name: Tinker Bell
Finding Place: Large gift shop in Magic Kingdom at the Entrance
Finding Date: June 21st (real finding date sometime in November)
Species: Fashion accessory doll (though sometimes used as a Christmas tree ornament)
Strengths: Talented with inventing, full of energy, and readily helps with food gathering and the like.
Weaknesses: Sometimes exhausting, flighty, (haha) and has somewhat of an ego.
Powers: Can fly, though admittedly not for very long.
Status: A helpful hand for a friend in need.

1 comment: